Let's firstly define what we mean by Mineral v Chemical. Traditional Chemical sunscreens work by penetrating the top layer of skin and absorbing the harmful UV Ray's before they can damage the skin. Mineral sunscreens, also known as physical sunscreens, form a barrier on the skin to reflect the rays away from the skin. Both should protect against UVA and UVB (Always check the labelling for broad spectrum or full spectrum protection).
The active ingredients in Mineral sunscreens are Zinc Oxide and Titanium dioxide
Chemical sunscreen ingredients include oxybenzone, avobenzone, octisalate, octocrylene, homosalate and octinoxate
IMPORTANT Do not buy from those who advocate Plant based/carrier oils having sunscreen properties. They do not have sufficient ingredients to protect you. All UK sunscreens must pass vigorous testing far beyond standard cosmetic testing.
- Generally include fewer synthetic chemicals
- May be a more suitable choice for those who are pregnant or for small children
- Often enhanced with nutritious oils, antioxidants and botanicals
- Less likely to irritate sensitive skin
- Should be effective immediately.
- Some can be reapplied over make up
- Can be thick and difficult to rub in
- Can leave a white residue on skin
- Generally more expensive
- More difficult to source
- Just because they are mineral does not mean that they will not contain other chemicals/ fewer natural ingredients. Always check the ingredient lis
- Often thinner and easier to apply
- Easy to source- they can be bought everwhere!
- Synthetic ingredients
- Can aggravate sensitive or acne prone skin
- You should wait for the screen to be absorbed before going out in the sun
- More likely to contain other less natural ingredients and nutritious oils and botanicals
Below are some examples of providers who provide Mineral sunscreens. Please note that Zelenci is not collaborating with any of these providers and cannot endorse the products. We have simply sourced mineral options for you to explore yourself.
Providers who market Mineral sunscreens ( tradionally Natural/ Eco friendly/ Vegan/ Organic providers )
Holland and Barrett